A taste of Italy: Pizzoccheri (Main course)
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the globe continues now in Italy with our vegetarian menu… for the main course, we have Pizzoccheri (serves four people)
- 500 g Pizzoccheri (pasta made with buckwheat flour)
- 500 g potatoes
- 500 g chard
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 sage leaves
- 100 g butter
- 50 ml olive oil
- 250 g Bitto or Casera cheese (hard cheese from the mountain pastures of Lombardy)
- 100 g grana padana or parmesan (grated)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes of about 2 cm. Salt and cut the chard into similar sized pieces.
- Take quite a large saucepan and fill it 3/4 full with cold water, drop in the chopped potatoes and chard, cover the pan and heat.
- When the water boils add the Pizzoccheri and after 10 mins drain.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- In a saucepan melt the butter with the oil, sage and peeled garlic cloves and bring it to the boil, then strain it and keep the mixture on one side.
- Take a baking dish and pour in an initial layer of pizzoccheri with chard and potatoes and cover with part of the bitto cheese and grated grana padana, then add more pizzoccheri and continue in this way until everything is used up.
- Finally pour the oil and butter mixture over the whole dish and dust with more grana padana.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 180 º C for 15 min.
Wine recommendation: Valtellina Superiore
Up next: A wild berry tart
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!