East Anglian Asparagus Soup
Traditionally grown in East Anglia and a signature ingredient, the asparagus is a delicious vegetable whose popularity goes back to Roman times.
This simple recipe puts asparagus to use in a tasty and warming soup.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Tip: Serve with fresh, crusty bread for a satisfying start to any meal.
• Butter (20g)
• Vegetable Oil (1 tsp)
• Asparagus Spears (350g)
• Onion (1, finely sliced)
• Garlic (2 cloves, mashed)
• Spinach (2 large handfuls)
• Vegetable Stock (750ml)
1. Melt the butter with the oil in a saucepan until it begins to bubble.
2. Remove the woody ends of the asparagus, chop up the stalks, and separate the tips.
3. Fry the tips until softened before setting aside.
4. Add the onion, stalks and garlic to the pan, and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
5. Stir in the spinach, add the stock and boil.
6. Blend the mix together using a hand blender.
7. Season with salt and pepper, and add hot water until you reach the desired consistency.
8. Ladle into bowls, and serve with the asparagus tips and a few slices of fresh, crusty bread.