Traditionally Polish: Red borscht with porcini mushroom pierogies
As part of our mission to find the world’s tastiest food we have arrived in Poland to enjoy a selection of traditional delicacies… To start we have Red borscht with porcini mushroom pierogies – serves four people…
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it - let us know by leaving a comment below!
Ingredients – Red borscht:
- 4 beets, trimmed & scrubbed
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar & salt
- 9 cups water
- 0.75 cup reserved mushroom liquid
Ingredients – Porcini mushroom pierogies:
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water (or enough to cover the mushrooms)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts
- 0.25 tsp dried Thyme leaves
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
Ingredients – Pierogi dough:
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 0.75 cup plus 2 tbs hot water
- 2 tbs olive oil
Up next: Roast duck with apples
- Trim and scrub the beets, leaving at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) of stem. loosely wrap them in foil and roast in a 200 °C (400 °F) oven for 1 hour and peel them.
- Chop the beets into small cubes. Heat the oil and sweat the onion & garlic. Add the chopped carrot, celery and beets. Top with the water, thyme sprigs, salt and cabbage. Bring the pot to a rolling simmer and cook until the carrots are soft; about 40 min.
- Strain the soup through a sieve into a new stockpot. Pour the reserved mushroom liquid and add along with the fresh pepper, sugar and lemon and salt. Keep warm on a low heat until ready to serve.
- Pour the boiling water over the mushrooms to reconstitute. Let them site for about 30 minutes.
- Strain and reserve the liquid. Trim, rinse and finely chop the leeks. heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the leeks and garlic, sautéing until soft.
- Finely chop the mushrooms and add to the leeks along with the thyme, salt and pepper; sauté for 2 minutes more and add the parsley.
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl of a food processor. With the power on (CAUTION), add the oil and drizzle hot water through the feed. Cut the dough in half, cover and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out the first piece of dough about 0.13 of an inch thick (0.5 cm). Cut 2 inch (5 cm) rounds and add a small amount of the mushroom filling to the centre. dampen the edges, fold the dough in half and seal tightly.
- To cook, drop the pierogies into boiling water for about 3 -4 minutes. Add the pierogies to the borscht just before serving!