Welsh Bara Brith
Also known as speckled bread, Bara Brith is a Welsh fruitcake made traditionally with currents, raisins, and fruit peel.
There are a number of variations of the loaf, but the Welsh custom is to soak the fruit in black tea overnight before making the cake itself, see the details below.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 95 minutes
• Dried Mixed Fruit (450g)
• Brown Sugar (250g)
• Warm Black Tea (300ml)
• Mixed Spice (2tsp)
• Self-Raising Flour (450g)
• Egg (1, beaten)
1. Soak the fruit and sugar in the tea overnight.
2. The next day, preheat the oven to 170⁰C or gas mark 3.
3. Line a loaf tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
4. Beat flour, eggs, and mixed spice into the fruit mixture.
5. Pour the batter into the tin, and bake for an hour and a half or until a knife comes out clean through the centre.