Mellieha Pumpkin pie
As part of our mission to find the world’s tastiest food we have arrived in the beautiful island of Malta to enjoy a classic Maltese menu… For the main we have Torta Tal-Qargha Hamra - Mellieha Pumpkin pie - serves four people.
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it - let us know by leaving a comment below!
- Prep time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Tip: Wine recommendation - Dry red wine
- Shortcrust pastry
- 1 kg pumpkin (cubed)
- 2 x 200 g of canned tuna (drained)
- 2 tbs capers
- 2 tbs chopped black olives
- 1 tbs toasted pine nuts
- 700 mi tomato pasta sauce
- 100 g peas
- 2 lightly beaten eggs for the filling
- 3/4 cup of par cooked long-grain rice
- 1 beaten egg yolk for the glaze
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Up next: Mqaret – Sweet date Pastries
- Prepare a deep casserole dish… grease, flour and then line with pastry allowing some overhang.
- Mix the tune, capers, olives, nuts, peas, rice and eggs together with the tomato pasta sauce and then pour into a pastry lined dish.
- Poll out the remaining pastry to make a lid, brush the edges with water and lay the pastry on top of the pie covering the filling.
- Prick the pastry with a fork, glaze with the beaten egg and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top, and bake for 1 hour in a preheated 180 º C oven.