A taste of Italy: Aubergine caponata (Starter)
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the globe continues now in Italy with a vegetarian menu… To start, we have Aubergine Caponata (serves four people)
- 4 aubergines
- 1 onion
- 3 sticks of celery
- 500ml tomato sauce
- 1 tbs capers
- 200g pitted green olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1/4 wine glass vinegar
- 2 tbs sugar
- Optional: 50 g pine kernels
- Cut the aubergines into cubes of approx. 2 cm and leave them in salt in a colander for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce for the caponata. Wash the celery well, dice it and put it in a saucepan covered with a little water. Cook until the water has dried up.
- Add the chopped onion and fry gently with plenty of olive oil.
- Add the capers, the olives cut in half, the pine kernels and the tomato sauce.
- Fry the aubergines in plenty of olive oil (we recommend a lot of oil because this is the only way it will not be absorbed by the aubergines).
- Add the aubergines to the ready prepared sauce and leave to cool.
Wine recommendation: A nice Cabernet Sauvignon
Up next: Pizzoccheri!
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!