Aussie Tucker Main: Meat Pies
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the globe continues Down Under with our Aussie Tucker Main course! These Aussie Meat Pie ingredients are for six people…
- 350 g store bought shortcrust pastry
- 375 g store bought puff pastry
(by all means make your won pastry if you wish!!!)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 1.5kg roiund or chuck steak, cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 4.5 cups of beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs corn flour (cornstarch)
- 0.25 cup (60 ml) water
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
To make filling:
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over a high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 min or until soft.
- Add the meat and cook for 5 min or until sealed.
- Add the tomato paste, stock, wine and Worcestershire sauce to the pan and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Now blend the corn flour and water to a smooth paste. Add to the beef mixture and stir for 4 min or until the mixture has thickened and returned to a simmer.
- Add the salt and pepper, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180° C
- Roll out the short crust pastry on a slightly floured surface to 3 mm think.
- Cut out 6 pie bases to line 9cm base x 11 cm top pie tins
- Spoon in the filling.
- Roll out the puff pastry until a 4mm thick can can cut out 6 lids.
- Place on top, trim and press the edges of the pastry together.
- Brush the top with egg and make a slit.
- Bake for 30 min or until golden.
Serve with Tomato Sauce & a caramelised Pumpkin, Feta & Pine Nut Salad
Wine recommendation: A nice red or beer!
Up next is our Tucker pud: Rosewater & summer berry Pavlova
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!