Aussie Tucker Starter: Pint of Prawns & Damper
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the globe takes us Down Under for some Aussie Tucker! To start we have a ordered a Pint of Prawns with Bacon mayo and a Spinach & Feta damper – serves six.
- 12 bacon rashers
- 2 cups (600g) good quality whole-egg mayo
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- Juice of 2 lemon, plus wedges to squeeze
- 2 kg cooked tiger prawns
- Plain flour, to dust
- 3 cups (450 g) self-raising flour
- 100 g butter, chilled, chopped coarsely
- 200 g feta, crumbled
- 1 cup (70 g) shredded parmesan
- 60 g baby spinach leaves, chopped finely
- 0.66 cup (160 ml) milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 0.5 tbs shredded parmesan (extra)
The Prawns & Bacon mayo…
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick frypan over medium heat for 8-10 min until crisp. Remove the bacon rashers and roughly chop, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Place the chopped bacon, reserved fat, mayonnaise, chives and lemon juice in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper, then process until combined and the bacon is finely chopped.
- Divide prawns among large glasses and serve with the bacon mayo and lemon wedges to squeeze.
The Spinach & Feta Damper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Combine self-raising flour and butter in a bowl. Use your fingertips to rub butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the feta, parmesan and spinach.
- Add the milk and egg to the flour mixture. Use your hands to bring the dough together. Shape the dough into a 20 cm disc. Use a sharp knife dipped in flour to score the top into 8 wedges. Top with extra parmesan.
- Bake for 35-40 min or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base.
Recommend a nice white wine to go with it!
Up next is our Tucker main: an Aussie Meat Pie
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!