The American Pud: Pecan Pie
Our USA leg of our journey to find tasty treats from around the globe ends with our Fat Tuesday Feast Pudding… and it has to be Pecan Pie (serves four people)
Ingredients for a one-crust 9 inch (23cm) pie:
- 12.5 oz (350g) bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz (225g) butter
- 2.5 oz (70g) cold lard
- 0.33 cup of ice water
Pecan Pie filling:
- 3 eggs
- 0.5 cup brown sugar
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.33 cup melted butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions: Pie Dough
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Add firm butter and lard
- Pinch the fat down to the size of hazlenuts with the fingertips
- Add ice water and mix just until the dough comes togther…lumpy butter
- Flatten and cover the dough. let the pie dough chill and rest in the refrigerator for 30 min before using
- Preheat oven to 190° C (375° F). Line the pie pan with pie dough and bake it partially for 5-7 min
- Remove the pie shell from the oven
Instructions: Pecan Pie filling:
- Combine and beat thouroughly the first six ingredients. Stir in the pecan halves and vanilla.
- Fill the pie shell. Bake the pie 40-50 min at 190° C (375° F) or until a knife inserted in the filling comes out clean
Tip: You can serve warm or cold
Up next in our World tour we visit…Australia!
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!