Traditional Russian Meal: Baked Carp stuffed with Buckwheat
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the world takes us to Russia for a traditional three course meal. For the main we have Baked Carp stuffed with Buckwheat – serves four people…
- 2 medium sized carps
- Half a cup of buckwheat
- 2 big onions
- 200 g sour cream
- bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for roasting
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes
- Scale fish, remove entrails and rinse fish thoroughly and then make slight incisions on each side of the fish.
- Heat the buckwheat on a warmed-up frying pan for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Then bring to the boil a glass of water, pour in the buckwheat, season with salt and cook for 10-12 minutes until the water is absorbed. The grain should be half-done.
- Chop onions into thin semicircles and fry them in the vegetable oil until golden brown. Add the buckwheat and 2 tbs sour cream to the pan with the onion and stir all ingredients thoroughly.
- Tightly put the ready stuffing inside the carps. Rub the fish with salt and pepper, roll in bread crumbs and place them on the baking tray. Preheat oven to 200°C and cook.
- In 15 minutes extract the dish from the oven, smear the fish with residuary sour cream and place the tray back for another 15-25 minutes.
- Serve with a nice green salad!
Up next: Biscuits “Kosuli”
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!