Traditional Russian Meal: Biscuits “Kosuli”
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the world takes us to Russia for a traditional three course meal. For the dessert we have Biscuits “Kosuli” – serves four people…
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 100 g butter
- 1 kg rye or wheat meal
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 minutes
- Mix honey, sugar and water and boil this blend until it turns greyish-brown. Add butter, cinnamon and cloves and stir to combine. The knead the dough whilst pouring in the rye/wheat meal. Place the dough in the fridge for an hour to rest.
- You should then roll out the dough using moulds of your choice i.e. bears/tress etc.
- Then place the biscuits into the baking tray and put into the oven which has preheated to 210-220º C for 10 minutes or until they are browned.
- Note on dough: Rye is more difficult to handle but the biscuits are more delicious. Wheat dough is easier to work with, but the taste is less rich…
- For the biscuit icing whist the whites of two eggs and 4 tbs sugar adding different natural colouring agents like cocoa powder, lemon zest, fruit or vegetable juices etc.
Up next… Turkey!
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!