Traditional Russian Meal: Cabbage Soup (Starter)
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the world takes us to Russia for a traditional three course meal. To start with we have Cabbage Soup – serves four people…
- 500 g beef or pork meat (on a bone)
- 300 g cabbage
- 2/4 potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- Greens (parsley/dill)
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 2 h 30 minutes
- Rinse meat thoroughly. Fill a saucepan half way with water. Add meat and one whole peeled onion and a carrot. Season the broth with salt. Cook for 40 – 50 minutes until ready.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges.
- Chop cabbage thinly. Add prepared vegetables to the meat broth and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat slightly to a simmer.
- Chop an onion, grate a carrot and brown them in a small quantity of oil. When cabbage and potatoes are ready, add the browned vegetables and the meat and boil the soup for 5-7 more minutes.
- 2 minutes before readiness add finely chopped parsley and/or dill and season the soup with salt to taste
Up next: Baked Carp stuffed with buckwheat
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!