Traditionally Polish: Roast Duck with apples recipe
As part of our mission to find the world’s tastiest food we have arrived in Poland to enjoy a selection of traditional delicacies… For the main we have Roast Duck with apples recipe and polish braised red cabbage – serves four people…
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it - let us know by leaving a comment below!
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Tip: Wine recommendation: dry red wine
- 2kg duck
- 2 medium sized apples
- 2 tbs chopped fresh marjoram
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 tbs caraway seeds
- 1 red cabbage
- 2-3 onions
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 0.33 cup vinegar
- 1 apple
- Salt, cinnamon, sugar, pepper, oil or butter
Up next: Cheesecake!
- Rinse the duck with water and pat dry. Chop the apples and stuff the cavity of the duck. Rub the skin well with the marjoram, the garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Place the duck in a roasting tray. collect any marinade left in the plate, and add some more water to make up one cup of liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 240 °C (475 °F). Roast the duck uncovered for 10 min, then reduce the heat to 160 °C (325 °F) and cook for 2 h. Use a fine skewer to pierce the duck skin with holes to release its juices.
- The duck should be so well cooked that it can be easily pulled apart and served in chunks.
- Fry onions in oil or butter, add cabbage, cook for a while together, pour the wine, vinegar, water apple, pinch of cinnamon. sugar (1-2 tbs) and simmer covered until tender. Before the end of stewing season with salt and pepper.