Vietnamese Delight: Cha Gio Fried Spring Rolls
Our journey to find the tastiest food from around the globe continues now in South East Asia with our next Vietnamese Delight… Cha Gio Fried spring rolls (serves four people) and a dip.
- 200 g ground pork
- 200 g fresh shrimp
- 1 onion
- 1 taro root
- 4 pcs dried oyster mushroom
- 100 g glass noodle
- 20 pcs rice paper
- 1 thai chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
(preparation time approx 1h.)
- Wash and peel the raw shrimps and mince them into a fine mass. Chop the onion into fine pieces and julienne the taro root.
- The mushrooms should be soaked in warm water until soft and then julienned. The glass noodles also need to be soaked in warm water until soft and then cut to a length of around 5cm.
- Mix the minced pork, chopped onion, julienned taro, julienned oyster mushrooms, and the cut glass noodles in a big bowl and season with 0.5 tsp salt, 0.5 tsp freshly ground pepper, 1 tsp sugar.
- Quickly wet a piece of rice paper. Add 1-2 tbsp filling. Fold the left and the right side in to cover the filling. Then roll up from the bottom. Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Deep fry in vegetable oil on medium high heat.
- For the dip: Mash the garlic and chilli, add 50 ml water, 1 tbsp sugar, mix until sugar is dissolved. Then add 2 tbsp fish sauce and 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Put one spring roll into the pot of vegetable oil to test the temperature. Look for the oil to make big bubbles when it is hot enough.
- Once ready place 2/3 spring rolls in the preheated oil at a time. Leave about 3 cm of space between the rolls.
- Turn each roll over once the underside is golden brown. Continue to fry each spring roll until both sides are golden.
Wine recommendation: Riesling or Zinfandel Rose
Our next Vietnamese Delight will be: Caramalized Claypot Pork…
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it – let us know by leaving a comment below!
For all of our tasty global treats please visit our Facebook page – and don’t forget to like!!!