Welsh Cakes have been popular in Wales since the 19th century. They are made on a griddle or bakestone rather than in an oven, and can contain raisins and currants.
Perfect with some butter and jam, this recipe calls for sultanas and spices to make these tasty Welsh Cakes.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
• Self-Raising Flour (225g)
• Salted Butter (110g)
• Egg (1)
• Cinnamon (1tsp)
• Nutmeg (1tsp)
• Sultanas (50g)
• Milk (100ml)
• Caster Sugar (85g)
1. Combine the butter, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg together until they form breadcrumbs.
2. Add the sugar, sultanas, and the egg, and mix until combined.
3. Once you have a dough-like consistency, roll it into a ball and roll it out to around 5mm thick.
4. Butter a griddle and put it onto heat. Once hot, place the cakes on and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
5. Finish with a dusting of sugar.