Welsh Onion Cake
A comfort food classic, Welsh onion cake is a combination of rich, savoury potatoes and sweet onions in a delicious and filling side dish.
The basic recipe is relatively simple, but you can add vegetables or Caerphilly cheese to give it your own personal touch.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 70 minutes
• Unsalted Butter (100g, melted)
• White Onions (500g, sliced)
• Rosemary (1 sprig)
• Maris Piper Potatoes (1kg, sliced and very thinly peeled)
1. Preheat the oven to 190⁰C or gas mark 5.
2. Melt 25g of butter in a pan.
3. Sweat the onions in the butter with the rosemary and some seasoning for about 20 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, add the rest of the melted butter to the sliced potatoes and season.
5. Line a frying pan with baking parchment, and layer half the potatoes circularly on the base.
6. Add the onions, then finish with another layer of potatoes.
7. Heat the pan on the stove for 5 minutes, then bake for 45-50 minutes.