As part of our mission to find the world’s tastiest food we have arrived in New Zealand to enjoy some classic kiwi cuisine… For dessert we have Kiwi pavlova - serves four people.
If you have any tweaks, suggestions or you have tried the recipe and love it - let us know by leaving a comment below!
- Prep time: 40 minutes (resting time - potentially overnight!)
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Serves: 4
- Tip: For the chocolate lover, grate dark chocolate over the cream
Wine recommendation - dessert wine
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 125 ml fresh cream
- Seasonal fruit topping – kiwi, strawberries, passion fruit, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
- Beat the egg whites until stiff (forms peaks) – an electric beater is recommended. Add the sugar – a heaped tbs at a time – beating well after each addition. Beat for at least 10 minutes! (v important!)
- After at least 10 minutes sprinkle vinegar, corn flour and the vanilla essence into the mixture. Beat until blended. On a baking tray lined with a sheet (teflon/silicon) pile the pavlova mixture in a c. 20 cm circle.
- Heat the oven to 150ºC (300ºF)
- Put the pavlova in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 125ºC (250ºF) and leave for 1 hour.
- After the hour turn the oven off and leave in the oven until cold (usually overnight). This makes a nice crust on the outside of the pavlova.
- Before serving, cover the pavlova in whipped cream (sweetened with icing sugar) and decorate with your favourite fruit.